Save the Dates: 2019 Events on Martha’s Vineyard
March 20, 2019
Parades, fireworks, festivals and Illumination Night: Mark your calendars for this year’s big Martha’s Vineyard events. From free to fancy, there’s a celebration for every budget—and returning Island visitors may note some changes, including a spectacular new location for the annual Car-B-Q Classic and a new league for the Vineyard’s baseball team.
- May 10-12: Edgartown decks its lighthouse as a maypole for the annual Pink & Green Weekend, a celebration of Spring and Mother’s Day with special shopping and dining events around town.
- May 27: Memorial Day weekend brings the Oak Bluffs Memorial Road Race, Vineyard Artisans Festival in West Tisbury and the Memorial Day parade in Vineyard Haven.
- June 5: Opening day for the Martha’s Vineyard Sharks collegiate baseball team, which plays the Valley Bluesox at 6:30 p.m. at the Shark Tank on the Edgartown-Vineyard Haven road in Oak Bluffs.
- June 6: The 2019 Best of the Vineyard party lights up Farm Neck in Oak Bluffs.
- June 8-9: The Fly Rod Catch & Release Striped Bass Tournament takes place in Edgartown.
- June 13 & June 15: In Edgartown, the Taste of the Vineyard Gourmet Stroll and Patrons’ Stroll and Auction benefit the Vineyard Trust, which owns and maintains historic properties including the Dr. Daniel Fisher House and the Old Whaling Church.
- June 16: The Vineyard Gazette’s Car-B-Q Classic is a parade, contest and show of vintage cars on the lawn of the new Martha’s Vineyard Museum, formerly a historic mariner’s hospital, in Vineyard Haven.
- Tuesdays, June 25 to August 27: The weekly Flea & Fine Arts Market at Featherstone Center for the Arts features local artists and craftspeople. Rain cancels.
- June 20-23: The Martha’s Vineyard Film Center hosts its annual FILMUSIC Festival.
- July 4: Starting at the Tisbury School, Murdick’s 5 Mile Run the Chop Challenge raises money for local kids.
- July 4: The whole Island comes to Edgartown this afternoon for the Independence Day Parade, followed by fireworks after dark.
- July 8: The Tisbury Street Fair has become an annual Vineyard Haven tradition since the town’s tercentennial in 1971.
- July 12-14: The Vineyard Cup Regatta brings racing skippers from around the region for three days of competition and a harborside party in Vineyard Haven.
- July 25-17: The Edgartown Yacht Club‘s Race Weekend includes both ‘Round the Buoy Races and the famous ‘Round the Island Race.
- July 28: The celebrity-studded Possible Dreams Auction, which raises money for Martha’s Vineyard Community Services, moves up-Island this year to Tilton Farm in Chilmark.
- August 3-4: The MV Book Festival takes place every other year in West Tisbury.
- August 5-10: The Martha’s Vineyard African American Film Festival returns for its 17th year, screening films at the Performing Arts Center in Oak Bluffs.
- August 8-11, August 15, August 17-18: The Built on Stilts Dance Festival brings a wide range of performing artists to Union Chapel in Oak Bluffs.
- August 14: The Grand Illumination (Illumination Night), an Oak Bluffs tradition since the 19th century, lights up the gingerbread cottages of the Methodist campground with countless colorful lanterns.
- August 15-18: The Martha’s Vineyard Agricultural Fair, at the Ag Society grounds in West Tisbury, is the quintessential country fair featuring animals, crafts, livestock shows, tractor pulls, music and a midway with rides and games.
- August 16: Oak Bluffs’ annual Band Concert & Fireworks is sponsored by local firefighters.
- Sept 3-8: The Martha’s Vineyard International Film Festival returns to Vineyard Haven.
- September 7: Go fly a kite at the annual Annual Martha’s Vineyard Wind Festival in Oak Bluffs—or take part in the Vineyard Triathlon, which starts nearby.
- Sept. 15-Oct. 19: Islanders and visitors alike grab their fishing rods for the Martha’s Vineyard Striped Bass & Bluefish Derby.
- Sept. 14: Tivoli Day is Oak Bluffs’ annual street fair, complete with live music.
- Oct. 23-27: In Edgartown, the Martha’s Vineyard Food & Wine Festival celebrates fine wines and local foods.