Get Moving! Fitness Centers and Workout Classes on Martha’s Vineyard
February 18, 2019
Winter weather doesn’t have to keep you from working out on Martha’s Vineyard. Here are some fitness centers and indoor workout classes—plus one hardy running club—to help you stay in shape for all seasons.
For an Island miles to sea in the cold Atlantic, Martha’s Vineyard actually has a lot of nice late-winter days when the sun shines, the sky is blue, the wind is calm and we all start thinking about spring. Resident cardinals and chickadees start singing their mating and territorial songs in February as snowdrops start popping up in sunny spots, and ospreys begin returning in March.
But sloppy weather is always just around the corner this time of year, making it tough for any but the most dedicated souls to get outdoors for a hike or run. Fortunately, the Vineyard has well-equipped fitness centers and workout classes where you can banish winter’s general crumminess with your indoor exercise of choice.
Love to swim? The YMCA of MV has a large pool; the Mansion House has a small one. Yoga? Take your pick of methods and intensities. Running and rowing machines, boxing and kickboxing, Crossfit, Zumba, cycling and tennis classes are all available year-round indoors. You can even find free dance and exercise classes at our town libraries and senior centers.
Check the Complete Martha’s Vineyard Calendar for classes happening on specific days. Fitness centers offer daily, weekly, monthly and annual rates for classes and equipment, as well as individual services such as massage and personal training. Here are some places to start:
- YMCA of Martha’s Vineyard: Pool, teen center, fitness equipment, café, programs for adults and children.
- Mansion House: Pool, fitness equipment, more than 20 classes.
- Airport Fitness: Tennis, weights, boxing, Zumba, yoga, conditioning.
- Kaiut Yoga, Mondays/Thursdays 5:30 p.m., Wednesdays/Saturdays 9 a.m.
“Kaiut Yoga® is all about biomechanical health (or said another way, your freedom of movement). It has been designed to work through chronic pain & injuries, general aches & stiffness, and work for the inflexible, hyper flexible and the aging body.”
- Adult Community Dance Class, Tuesdays 10:30 a.m.-noon through April 30.
Beginner to advanced welcome. No signup required. Free.
- Senior Strength, Wednesdays 9:45 a.m.-10:45 a.m.
One of several senior-oriented classes at Airport Fitness.
- Tai Chi & Tea, Fridays 10:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
Qi Gong and Yang-style Taijiquan. All skill levels welcome. Free.
- Thirsty Thursdays with the Amity Island Running Club, Thursdays 5:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m.
Beginning and ending at The Newes from America pub, run, jog or walk at your own pace and then gather for a beverage. Free (not including your beer).
- Bowling (10-pin) takes place year-round at the Barn Bowl & Bistro. Check with the establishment for special events.
photo by Tim Johnson