December 27 – 31: Six Things To Do This Holiday Weekend
December 30, 2018
Here we are at the bottom of 2018, with five days left until we reboot. While most of us may welcome 2019 with open arms, it’s nice to suspend real life for a few days during this extended holiday. We can think about goals and resolutions next week.
It will be a quiet weekend on the Vineyard, perfect for long walks (a bit of rain to dodge Friday) and movie-going. Here are a few suggestions for enjoying the down time.
1. Get the kids out of the house. If cabin fever has set in, check out this list of activities for kids this week. It includes special events for teens added just for this school break, like Teen Movie Screenings at the West Tisbury Library and Teen Fire Night at Sassafras Earth Education.
2. Head to the movies. Aquaman hits the big screen at Edgartown Cinemas; Ralph Breaks the Internet and Mary Poppins Returns are on at the Capawock, and Green Book, Shoplifters, and The Favorite alternate at the MV Film Center.
3. Take a class. For those of you who normally can’t make it to a class during the work day, vacation week is a perfect opportunity to try out a Zumba or pilates or yoga class. Then you can decide whether that New Year’s resolution is really practical.
4. Try out a new trail walk. While there are no special events planned at conservation properties this weekend, it is still an ideal time to explore a trail or property you may not have visited. Been to Menemsha Hills? Try Longpoint Wildlife Refuge. Been to Felix Neck? Try Cedar Tree Neck Sanctuary.
6. Catch up on your reading. Check out the Chilmark Library’s Used Book Sale. And pick up a copy of the year-end issue of The Vineyard Gazette, on newstands Friday with a look back at events, arts, food and nature on the Island during 2018.
SAVE THE DATE
Want to receive Island Time by email? Visit