Live from Martha’s Vineyard! Island Time, May 5
May 5, 2022
Live from Martha’s Vineyard, it’s Mother’s Day weekend! And the start of MV Climate Action Week! And the Spectrum Film Festival! Lace up your sneakers and stretch your muscles — you’ll want to make your way around the Island to take advantage of so many great events. We’re highlighting a few picks below, but be sure to check out The Complete Martha’s Vineyard Calendar for the latest updates before you leave the house. Please note that we’ve provided a quick glance at some of the 36 events planned for MV Climate Action Week in a special section below, but you can find the complete list of events on both the calendar and on The Vineyard Way website.
Mother’s Day Weekend
From Friday, May 6 to Sunday, May 8, Edgartown invites you to shop and stroll the village for Mother’s Day Weekend and a Celebration of Spring. Local businesses will host sales and offer dining specials.
· Harbor View Hotel and the Edgartown Board of Trade are offering 30-minute private horse drawn carriage rides from 10 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Rides begin at the Harbor View.
· The 6th Annual Mother’s Day 5K & Fun Run will take place on Saturday, May 7 at South Beach and will benefit the MV Cancer Support Group. Meet at the corner of Herring Creek and Atlantic Drive at 9 a.m. Runners, walkers, dogs and strollers are all welcome.
· On Saturday, the Edgartown Library hosts a floral design class, Mother’s Day Blooms, taught by veteran designer Louise Sweet. The class runs from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.
MV Climate Action Week, May 8 -14
With 36 events scheduled, MV Climate Action Week offers opportunities for all Islanders to find ways to help participate in making the Vineyard more resilient to climate change. Here are a few highlights but you can find the complete list of events on both the calendar and on The Vineyard Way website. The week wraps up with a fun closing event at the Grange next Saturday, May 14, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· The Art of Flowers (with a special focus on native plants), Featherstone Center for the Arts, opening Sunday, May 8, noon to 4 p.m.
· Native Plants for a Climate Resilient Garden, presented by Polly Hill Arboretum executive director Tim Boland, virtual, Monday, May 9, 2 to 2:30 p.m.
· Norton Point Dune Restoration Tour, Tuesday, May 10, 5 to 6 p.m.
· Eco-Anxiety: Finding Resilience in an Era of Climate Change, virtual, Wednesday, May 11, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
· Workshop: Home Energy Assessments & Transitioning Away from Oil & Propane Heat, presented by Cape Light Compact. Three times and locations: Thursday, May 12, 2 to 3 p.m., Howes House. Thursday, May 12, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m., West Tisbury Public Library. Friday, May 13, 3 to 4 p.m., Oak Bluffs Library.
· Tips and Techniques for Climate-Friendly Cooking, presented by Cook the Vineyard with Susie Middleton and Jenny Devivo, The Farm Institute, Thursday, May 12, 5:30 to 7 p.m.
· Tick Talk, presented by Dick Johnson and biologist Patrick Roden-Reynolds, Edgartown Public Library, Thursday, May 12, 7 to 8 p.m.
Fresh off their trip to Ireland, the Minnesingers are excited to perform for the home audience, in the PAC, for the first time since 2019. On the bill: traditional choral music, jazzy dance numbers and Queen! Shows are Friday, May 6, 7 to 9 p.m. and Saturday, May 7, 4 to 6 p.m. Buy tickets to the Minnesingers Spring Show in advance.
The wide-ranging lineup for this weekend’s Spectrum Film Festival at the M.V. Film Center includes films Sublet(Friday, 7:30 p.m.), Summer of ’85 (Saturday, 1 p.m.), Anais in Love (Saturday, 7:30 p.m.), and Ma Belle, My Beauty (Sunday, 7:30 p.m.).
On Saturday, May 7 at 7 p.m., MVY Radio invites the Island community to its second annual party at the P.A. Club to benefit the Martha’s Vineyard Nonprofit Collaborative. Dance to live music, enjoy free food, leave a donation, and celebrate all the great organizations who care for and support our community.
Nobnocket Boutique Inn in Vineyard Haven will host Island artisans Ivry Belle Jewelry and SylvieBags for a pop-up show on May 6 from 4 to 7 p.m. Ivry Belle Jewelry’s collection includes pieces made with 14 karat yellow gold, bronze, brass and sterling silver. SylvieBags is celebrating 25 years in business and launching new designs including a market bag for weekend shopping.
Photos: Top, Ray Ewing, Middle: Mark Lovewell; Bottom: Ray Ewing.