Wondering what summers are like on Martha’s Vineyard?
Imagine: the honky-tonk sounds of the Flying Horses Carousel; the taste of a ripe, juicy farm stand tomato, still warm from the vine; flip flops on the OB boardwalk; breathing in the briny air, mixed with that familiar whiff of fried seafood; catching the fresh grassy scent of newly mown hay; listening to the sound of the fog horn cutting through the mist at daybreak.
Add to that a roster of memorable events, from fireworks and the Fair to weekly festivals and farmers’ markets, and suddenly your Vineyard summer schedule is falling into place.
Make Plans, Mark Your Calendars!
While you’re making your plans, be sure to mark your calendars for our 10 favorite summer events on Martha’s Vineyard:
1) Saturday mornings on Martha’s Vineyard just wouldn’t be the same without the West Tisbury Farmers’ Market to set the stage for weekend eating and entertaining. The market begins this year on June 10 with Wednesdays added to the schedule mid-month.
2) Looking for Island-made jewelry, clothing, furniture, pottery and more? Come to the Summer Artisans Festivals, where more than 100
Island artists show their talents and offer their crafts for sale. The first festival is June 11.
3) Oak Bluffs kicks off the season at its Annual Harbor Festival on June 17 with music, shopping, outdoor dining and boardwalk stroll.
4) Come test your mettle at the Chilmark Road Race! Folks have been running this beloved race for decades. The scenic and challenging run winds its way by Chilmark’s stone walls, farms and forest. The race takes place this year on August 12.
5) Amazing films and community fun make the Martha’s Vineyard Summer Film Festival and Cinema Circus a much-anticipated addition to Island summers. This year’s lineup of events has not yet been finalized but fun for the whole family, with special events for all ages, lies ahead in July and August.
6) Everyone loves a birthday party! Come celebrate Vineyard Haven’s at the town’s Annual Tisbury Street Fair on July 8 that turns Main Street into a multi-block celebration filled with music, bargains, street foods, old friends and new.
7) Grab a chair or pillow, pack a picnic and head over to the Tisbury Amphitheater to take in the Vineyard Playhouse’s alfresco performance of Shakespeare in the Amphitheater. Wednesdays- Saturdays, July 12 through August 12
8) Martha’s Vineyard Community Services has been curating amazing dreams for nearly four decades at its annual Possible Dreams Auction. Join the fun of this celebrity-studded event, where you can come to bid or just to soak up the excitement this year on July 30.
9) Celebrating its 156th year, the Martha’s Vineyard Agricultural Fair is deservedly the summer’s most anticipated event. Midway rides share the fairgrounds with livestock events, skillet throws, judged exhibits of home arts, crafts and artwork, live music and more. Food stalls serve up chowder, BBQ, fried dough and other delectables that Islanders dream about all winter long. Come to the Fair – this year August 17-20.
10) In August two nearly tandem events fill Oak Bluffs to the bursting point:
First up is Illumination Night (August 16), when Camp Ground residents follow a 140-year-old tradition and decorate their gingerbread cottages with paper lanterns. Come for the Community Sing and stay for the magical Illumination as the sky darkens.
Two nights later, on August 18, the annual Oak Bluffs Fireworks signal the coming end of yet another summer season by filling the sky over Ocean Park with riotous color, fire and sound. Toast both nights with a summer sized serving of ice cream!